Top 10 Intelligent Medicine podcasts of 2015
| By Dr. Ronald Hoffman
One of the best-kept secrets about Intelligent Medicine is that it’s not just a weekly radio show that you may or may not have a chance to catch in real-time.
Each week we generate 3 or 4 additional podcasts that can be accessed via your computer, tablet, or any mobile device. And every year around Holiday time, I compile my list of the year’s Top Ten Intelligent Medicine podcasts.
If you’re not familiar with our podcasts, you can download them individually from the Intelligent Medicine website, or subscribe via iTunes, or by copying and pasting this URL into your favorite podcasting app: http://drhoffman.com/podcast/feed/intelligent-medicine/
The Intelligent Medicine website houses a huge inventory of podcasts with fascinating content that you might never have heard before: Interviews with top personalities in the field of complementary and alternative medicine, our weekly Q&A with Hoffman Center nutritionist Leyla Muedin, Leyla’s own great weekly “Leyla Weighs In” features, as well as my solo “Clinical Focus” podcasts on a wide range of topics.
Feel free to browse them using this handy index, or use the “Search” at the top of this website.
And best of all, they’re free! Plus, you don’t need to wade through tons of commercials to get to the good stuff.
If you were to listen to all of them, you would receive an extraordinary grounding in the principles and practice of integrative medicine and applied nutrition. If it were up to me, I’d be handing out honorary degrees!
Our reviews are uniformly raves, like this 5 star rating from “DeClutter Specialist”:
“Long-time listener . . . Dr. Hoffman has such a balanced approach to health and nutrition, giving us the most sound information possible. I could go on and on about how great he is. Instead, just listen and learn! Leyla, his nutritionist, also offers great advice.”
So, without further ado, here’s my list of ten of the top podcasts of 2015 that I think deserve your attention:
1) “Brain-Maker” with Dr. David Perlmutter: America’s foremost integrative neurologist discusses the gut-brain connection, exploring how depression, anxiety, and neurodegenerative diseases may be prompted by alterations in our GI flora. Dr. Perlmutter also shares tips on how to optimize the microbiome.
2) “Tox-Sick” with Suzanne Somers: Suzanne discusses her latest book, which deals with detoxification and recovery from environmental illnesses.
3) Integrative Urology with Dr. Aaron Katz: Dr. Katz discusses the “Active Holistic Surveillance” concept, which he pioneered, and which now is gaining widespread acceptance. Certain forms of early prostate cancer respond well to diet and nutritional support without risking the side effects associated with conventional therapy.
4) How Well Does Your Body Handle Stress? with Dr. Thomas Guilliams: A deep-dive on the subject of stress and how the body is delicately orchestrated to respond via the brain, the pituitary and the adrenals. Is “adrenal burnout” a misnomer? How best to test adrenal function? How can natural adaptogens support resilience in the face of stress?
5) Why is Lyme Disease So Hard to Diagnose and Treat? with Dr. Leo Galland: One of the foremost authorities on integrative treatment for Lyme Disease discusses tick borne illnesses. Why do standard tests sometimes come up short? Why do many sufferers of Lyme go undiagnosed? Besides antibiotics, what natural approaches yield the best results?
6) The Gut Balance Revolution with Dr. Gerard Mullin:America’s top integrative gastroenterologist tackles the microbiome, and its implications for overall health. He details intriguing research that suggests we may be able to combat obesity by manipulating the GI flora with diet and targeted nutraceuticals.
7) Are Statins Really Safe? with Dr. Peter Langsjoen: A renowned CoQ10 researcher weighs in with a rigorous, scientifically-based critique of our excess dependency on statin drugs to prevent cardiovascular disease. He details the research supporting use of CoQ10, and its successor, ubiquinol.
8) The Dorito Effect with Mark Schatzker: An inspiring call to action—everything you need to know about how Big Food is conspiring to hijack your taste buds. The result is a spiraling epidemic of obesity and degenerative diseases. Learn how to reclaim control of your food choices and begin to once again savor the real tastes of healthy meals
9) Reversing Chronic Fatigue and Fibromyalgia with Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum: America’s top CFS/FMS expert weighs in with a comprehensive treatment plan—the S.H.I.N.E. protocol. He lists specific supplements that can aid recovery.
10) Integrative Therapies for Cancer with Dr. Lise Alschuler: The author of “The Definitive Guide to Cancer” shares diet and supplement suggestions. Should certain vitamins be curtailed by cancer patients? What nutraceuticals are compatible with radiation and chemo?
I hope you enjoy these podcasts, and take some time to browse the rest of the collection, if you haven’t already. Thank you to all my readers and listeners for your questions, comments, and reviews in 2015. I pledge to continue providing you with the latest in health news and knowledge in 2016.
2,918 total views, 2 views today
Though we think of declining estrogen as the hallmark of menopause, it's actually common for…
Up to 12 percent of Americans have ulcers at some point in life. Peptic ulcers…
Gallbladder disease is a modern illness. An estimated 20 million Americans have gallbladder disease. The…
We are seeing more and more cases of A-fib and the medical management that such…
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), more than a quarter billion…
Over 45 years ago in college, as a recently transplanted Southern Californian newly arrived in…
Is cholesterol that important? What are some of the adverse side effects of statins? Are…
- Supports cognitive function and provides neuroprotection
- Stimulates thermogenesis
- Enhances endurance and efficiency of skeletal and cardiac muscle
- Promotes healthy aging through sirtuin activation